Monday 20 November 2017

Learning Left Handed

When I was a girl, my Mama tried to teach me how to knit. My hands wouldn't work and I couldn't get my head around it. So she went home and taught herself how to knit left-handed, came back and tried again. Somehow, she managed to get me to figure it out.

I've picked up a few other yarn crafts over the years, but the single biggest hurdle I've had is learning how to learn from right-handed people. So I'm going to try to put left-handed things here, starting with patterns.

While knitting isn't so bad, tatting patterns have to be completely flipped, as when working left-handed each ring, and the whole piece, is created anti-clockwise. There is a lot of scrap lace floating around my house! Most of my patterns have been adapted from other blogs, which I will link to.

Please, enjoy and send any questions!

2 comments:

  1. Your tatted pieces look wonderful!!! :)
    I am a self taught(youtube and such) tatter who is right handed, but I taught my left handed niece how to tat(although, it didn't last long). ;)
    Love your work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      You never know when kids are going to come back to skills they were taught years ago, she'll pick it up again when she's ready. Good on you for persevering and sharing tatting with her!

      Delete